Friday 7 December 2007

Year 6 girl on....Suspense!



Suspense is a special baldworm skill to really get the reader involved in the story. Suspense is used to build up the main part of the story. When using suspense you should use the following skills to create it:

1. Impact sentences( 3-4 words).
2. Fragments ( 1-2 words)
3. Having the character call out " Come out!"
4. Shown feelings.
5. Having the character reassuring themselves " Everything is going to be alright"
6. Creepy noises
7. Strange movements
8. Shadows and the cold
9. Have the characters heart beat

Snap. I spun around. Nothing. The ghostly wind howled past my face like whip lashes. The full-moon shone in the dark night sky. My stomach twisted into knots as I heard a wolf howl in the distance. I pulled my hood over my head and zipped up my coat up to my frozen chin. Bats fluttered around a lifeless tree. Snap.
" I will be ok. Its nothing ," I thought. I could sense that someone was following me. My heart pounded in its cage like a wild lion.
Snap. My head rolled.
"Maybe I am dreaming?" I thought.
" Come out now whoever you are. I know you are there!" I shouted. No reply. My voice just echoed in the forest. Something was hissing like a smoke bomb. But where?

Did you realise this author has used all of the skills while making a flow in the story?

By Clare Gibson and KD275

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

if you want some horrible suspense, go to the london dunguoens, you'll get loads of suspense there!