Thursday 29 October 2009

I've Joined the National Novel Writing Month!



Gulp! I've just committed to writing a full-length novel - 50,000 words or more - by midnight on 30th November! National Novel Writing Month - NaNoWriMo - is an international competition, challenging people to write a complete novel -50,000 words of more - in just thirty days. Over 87,000 people around the world have signed up to writing 1,500 words (that's about six sides of A4) every single day for the next thirty days.

Why have I signed up? Two reasons:

1. I've been tinkering on and off for a couple of years with an idea for a story about a girl thief - and the time has come to get it down on paper, once and for all.

2. The one thing I really dislike about the 11+ exams is the thought that it teaches pupils that 'you write stories so you can pass a test'. By taking part in NaNoWriMo, I hope to show all the girls at FSG that writing fiction is something we can do for the sheer fun of it, rather than to impress the Grumpy Examiner.

Wish me luck! I'll be updating you on the blog as I aim for the magic 50,000 word target!

1 comment:

Nikki said...

Well done! I teach Year 5 and I am also doing NaNoWriMo this year, for the first time - I am also getting my class involved as our Creative Writing Club will be having a go at the young writers' version! Good luck with your novel!